Welcome to the Licensure and Registration Office home page. Here you can find out
about our mission, our roles and responsibilities, and our organization
The Office of Licensure and Registration aims to regulate the health professions
and monitor the health service providers in the Kingdom of Bahrain through the establishment
of standards, rules/regulation, guidelines and policies in order to maintain competencies
of health professionals and ensure provision of safe, high quality services.
Roles & Responsibilities
The role and responsibilities of the Office of Licensure and Registration are to:
- Implement the Kingdom's health laws and regulations governing the licensing and
registration of all public and private healthcare service providers and practitioners,
and health training and education programs to protect, promote and maintain the
standard of healthcare services and safety of the public.
- Establish and promulgate standards and criteria for registration and licensing in
line with the applicable health laws and regulations.
- Design and administer qualifying examinations for all healthcare professionals and
specialists in the Kingdom that will serve as basis for the issuance and revalidation
of their respective licenses.
- Evaluate applications for registration and licensing of healthcare service providers
and practitioners in the Kingdom, issue licenses to operate/practice and re-validate
- Maintain and publish a registry of licensed healthcare service providers and practitioners
in the Kingdom.
- Conduct periodic and spot inspection of health facilities in the Kingdom to ensure
adherence to the standards and criteria of registration and licensing.
- Investigate professional misconduct or malpractice as well as violation of laws
and regulations governing the practice of healthcare professionals and healthcare
educational institutes, and enforce the appropriate penalties on those found violating
- Coordinate with relevant bodies inside and outside of Ministry of Health to accomplish
the office mission and improve health care services in the Kingdom.
- Coordinate and collaborate with national, regional, and international bodies to
facilitate exchange programs and related activities that will improve and promote
the health licensure system and regulations in the Kingdom.
- Propose and participate in the review and establishment or amendment of health laws,
regulations, and code of ethics that are relevant to the regulation of healthcare
service providers and practitioners in the Kingdom.
- Support Licensure Office with secretarial and data entry tasks
Registration Procedures Group
Licensure Inspection Group
- Develop and revise standards for health institutes as needed
- Conduct periodic inspections to monitor compliance to standards
- Report and refer all violations to Legal Affairs
Medical & Dental Registration Group
- Review and evaluate applications for licensing of health professionals and health
- License health professionals and health institutes
- Maintain registers of legally qualified professionals and institutes
- Develop and establish licensure standards
- Review alleged professional misconduct and recommend action of penalties etc. when
Nursing Registration Group
Allied Health Registration Group
Education and Examination Group
- Review and evaluate applications for accreditation of health programs
- Review exceptional applications referred by registrars regarding qualification
- Design, develop and implement exams for evaluation of applicants